Soile Kukkonen, MSc, University of Oulu
- Contact: Tel. +358 (40) 825 0400 ; email:
Me and my planetary science
I’m generally interested in the geological processess of terrestrial planets.
At the moment I am investigating crater counting, a surface dating method which enables determining the relative surfeace ages of terrestrial planets and satellites without sample return. I apply this technique to areas near the largest impact structure on Mars the Hellas impact basin. In particular, I am interested in outlining the water and ice history on the four outflow channels (Dao, Niger, Harmakhis and Reull Valles) on the basin’s eastern rim region. The work is part of my PhD research.
- University of Oulu, Department of Physics, Planetology research group, Oulu, Finland: 2011–onwards
- Arctic Planetary Science Institute, Rovaniemi, Finland: 2014–present
Other achievements, positions of trust, etc.
- Best poster prize, Physic Days 2016, University of Oulu, Finland, 2016
- Amelia Earhart fellow, Zonta International, 2012 and 2013