Niko Koskensalmi, geologist
- Phone: +358 (50) 559 1318
- Email: NikoKosk
Me and my planetary geology
My skills are in mineralogy, sedimentary geology, microscopy (polarization light and scanning electron microscopy), as well as ore exploration. Currently I work in applied geology at the Inspecta laboratory, doing mostly mineralogical studies (scanning electron microscopy, and stereo / polarisation microscopes) and analyzing concrete samples. My previous work was in ore exploration and mapping glacial sedimentological landforms (e.g., eskers, drumlins, dunes) and sediments (from clay to till).
My main interests in planetology concern terrestrial planets and moons, but especially Earth. Comparing Earth geology with other terrestrial planets, find similarities and differences.
- Inspecta oy, Oulu, Finland: 2011–present
- Arctic Planetary Science Institute, Rovaniemi, Finland: 2015–present
- Mawson Resources, Finland: 2010
- Geological Survey of Finland: 2007–2009
- University of Oulu, Department of Geosciences, Oulu, Finland: 2002–2009
Field study sites
- Gold and uranium exploration in Mellakoski – Rompas, Ylitornio, Finland, 2010
- Sedimentological mapping in Northern Karelia, Kainuu and Oulu, Finland, 2007–2009
- Stereomicroscopy, polarization light microscopy, scanning electron microscopy
- Mineralogy, soils and sediments, mineral and ore exploration