Marko Aittola, PhD
- Phone: +358 (50) 469 2427
- email: Marko.Aittola
Me and my planetary science
I am interested in planetary science in general. Main topics of my research have been volcanism and tectonism, especially on Venus. In addition to planetary sciences I worked for years also as research manager in a particle physic group. After active research career I have worked in and founded research-related and/or science-driven companies.
I would very much like to re-visit Venus, especially the Venera 14 landing site on the Eastern side of Phoebe Region. The interesting thing would be to see (what is left of) the famous camera lens cap, the compressivity of which was measured by the lander’s spring-loaded arm. 🙂
- Arctic Planetary Science Institute (Vice chair)
- Muon Solutions Oy (CEO)
- Pensofabriko (Chief Specialist / owner)
- University of Oulu 1998–2015
Top five publications
- Aittola, M., Öhman, T., Leitner, J. J., Raitala, J. & Kostama, V.-P. (2010). Structural control of Venusian polygonal impact craters. Icarus, Vol. 205, Iss. 2, pp. 356–363. Link to article.
- Aittola, M., Öhman, T., Leitner, J.J. & Raitala J (2007). The Characteristics of Polygonal Impact Craters on Venus. Earth, Moon and Planets, Vol. 101, Iss. 1–2, pp. 41–53 . DOI 10.1007/s11038-007-9147-5 Link to article.
- Aittola, M. & J. Raitala (2007). Venusian Novae: Classification and Associations to Volcanotectonic Structures. Solar System Research, Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 395–412. Link to article.
- Aittola, M. & V.-P. Kostama (2002). Chronology of the formation process of Venusian novae and the associated coronae. Journal of Geophysical Research (Planets), Vol. 107, Iss. E11, pp. 22–1, CiteID 5112. DOI 10.1029/2001JE001528 Link to article.
- Aittola, M. & V.-P. Kostama (2000). Venusian Novae and Arachnoids: Characteristics, differences and the effect of the geological environment. Planetary and Space Science, Vol. 48, pp. 1479–1489. Link to article.