Jarmo Korteniemi, planetary geomorphologist
- Tel. +358 (45) 636 2264
- Email: Jarmo.Korteniemi
- Social media: ResearchGate; LinkedIn; Facebook; Twitter: @MarsJarmo
- Websites: Cratering blog (with T. Öhman, mostly in Finnish)
Me and my planetary science
I am by heart a wonderer: If a strange feature in the landscape catches my eye, I need to try and explain it. This has lead me to study volcanoes, glacial features, sedimentology, ground water, climate change, and impact cratering – to name a few.
I have worked intimately with most datasets from Mars probes, specializing in visible and near-IR wavelength image analysis. This combines my two main passions: observing nature and my graphical tendencies. I love geomorphologic mapping, especially using complementary spectral datasets.
I worked on the Mars Express HRSC (High Resolution Stereo Camera) science team from the target planning phase (ca. 2000) onwards, both at DLR and Uni of Oulu. At UCSC I studied how the recent changes in the Martian climate are represented in geomorphology.
I am also inclined towards public outreach and science journalism. By training I am both an astronomer-geoscientist and a science communicator.
- Muon Solutions, Finland: 2022–present
- Science journalist, freelance: ca. 2012–present
- Arctic Planetary Science Institute, Rovaniemi, Finland: 2014–present
- Tiedetuubi.fi, online science journal: 2013–present
- University of Oulu, Planetology research group, Oulu, Finland: 1996–2014
- University of California in Santa Cruz, Earth & Planetary Sciences, Santa Cruz, CA, USA: 2010–2011
- Universities Space Research Association, Lunar and Planetary Institute, Houston, TX, USA: 2009
- University of Münster (WWU), Institute of Planetology, Münster, Germany: 2008–2009
- German Aeroscpace Center (DLR), Institute of Planetary Research, Berlin, Germany; 2002
- VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Optoelectronics, Machine vision group, Oulu, Finland: 1999
- Sodankylä Geophysical Observatory, Aeronomy, Sodankylä, Finland: 1998
Top five publications
- Korteniemi J. & Kukkonen S., 2018. Volcanic structures within Niger and Dao Valles, Mars, and implications for outflow channel evolution and Hellas basin rim development. Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 45, iss. 7, pp. 2934–2944, doi:10.1002/2018GL077067.
- Korteniemi J. & Kreslavsky M.A. (2013): Patterned ground in Martian high northern latitudes: Morphology and age constraints. Icarus, vol. 225, iss. 2, pp. 960–970.
- Lahtela H., Kostama V.-P., Korteniemi J., Raitala J., Neukum G. & the HRSC Co-Investigator Team (2011): Mapping and analysis of a chain of channeled basins in the eastern rim region of Hellas basin, Mars. Planetary and Space Science, vol. 59, iss. 11–12, pp. 1195–1209.
- Korteniemi J., Raitala J., Aittola M., Ivanov M.A., Öhman T., Kostama V.-P. & Hiesinger H. (2010): Dike indicators in the Hadriaca Patera – Promethei Terra region, Mars. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 294, iss. 3–4, pp. 466–478, EPSL-D-08-01078R1.
- Ivanov M., Korteniemi J., Kostama V.-P., Raitala J., Törmänen T., Neukum G. (2010): Major episodes of geologic history of the western Promethei Terra, Mars. Journal of Geophysical Research – Planets, vol. 115, iss. E3, 2008JE003256RRR
Top five field study sites
- Iceland (volcanoes, glaciers, coastal plains; Vatnajökull, Mýrdalsjökull, Eyjafjallajökull, Reykjanes, Grímsvötn, Katla; 1988, 2008, 2012)
- Mojave desert (volcanism and sedimentary processes; 2010)
- Impact craters all around (Barringer Crater 2017; Lappajärvi & Söderfjärden 2000, 2001, 2010, 2016; Lumparn 2015; Keurusselkä 2010; Kaali 2008; Ries & Steinheim 2008; Ilumetsa & Tsõõrikmäe 2005; Karikkoselkä 2000)
- Island volcanism* (Santorini, Greece, 2006; Madeira, Portugal, 2016)
- Coastal desert and the Andes mountains, Peru, 2005*
* enthusiastically explored whilst on holiday 😉
Top five special courses and excursions
- Nordic – NASA / Hawai’i: Water, Ice and the Origin of Life in the Universe, Eyjafjallajökull – Myrdalsjökull – Torfajökull, Iceland, 2012
- NordForsk – NIR: Impact Cratering in the Planetary System – Cratering Mechanisms and Shock Metamorphism, Lappajärvi – Söderfjärden – Keurusselkä impact craters, Finland, 2010
- SYKLI: Geologic diversity of Saaremaa, Estonia, 2008
- ESIR: Geophysical Research Campaign at the Ilumetsa Impact Craters, Estonia, 2005
- ESA/Novespace: 3rd student parabolic flight campaign, Bordeaux, France, 2000
Other achievements, positions of trust, etc.
- Reviewer for Icarus (2012), NASA (2012), NSF (2013), Journal for Geophysical Research (2013), Springer references (2013-2015; 2019), National Geographic (2015), Frontiers in Astronomy (2022-2023)
- Member of the editorial board of the Encyclopedia of Planetary Landforms (Hargitai & Kereszturi (eds.), Springer, 2015); 2nd edition 2019-2020.
- Organizing committee member for international science conferences (Nordic Geological Winter Meeting, Oulu, Finland, 2006; EPSC, Münster, Germany, 2008) and conference session chair (Vernadsky-Brown Microsymposium, Moscow, Russia, 2005 and 2007; EPSC, Berlin, Germany, 2006)
- Teaching in-depth planetology courses and supervising M.Sc. and B.Sc. theses